Thursday, November 1, 2012

Twice



I've looked back and found I've cheated;
my memory lapsed and I allowed
a cluster of lines to be used twice. 
Now, that's not on; needs examination
as if it were a repeated dream. 

A patina of time”: that sounds O.K.,
white hair, wrinkles and, as well,
I display scars from fighting life's battles.

The enduring years”: now, that's wrong;
it is not the years that endure
but roll on one after another, 
the way years do. I'm the one
who's had to endure life's vicissitudes.

The mind's bright mirror”: who wouldn't 
choose illumination? 

As an image for life, fair enough,
despite the implicit teleology. 
Not aimless, not arbitrary, 
but promising meaning at journey's end.
I can see why I used it twice.
Hope, not strong enough for faith, 
but, for all that, worthy of love.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, you could see these little repetitions as your signatures, in a way. Then, upon reading your whole body of work, they would crop up as sure signposts of you.
    Love
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete